Wednesday, May 02, 2007

We shall over come..ur ome... We shall overcome someday...
Can you see Wendy Thomas on Beale St with her picket signs and bull-horn singing..."We shall overcome..?" protesting 3-6 Mafia being in Memphis In May?? Can I... nope! That's because she is not true to her cause. IF she was really passionate about not wanting 3-6 Mafia to perform this weekend she would do something more drastic than write a few words in the Commercial Appeal(CA). Background info: She is a newspaper columnist who writes for the CA, which is a sometimes borderline, questionable racially bias newspaper. What really is her motivation? Did she get called a few names in the sandbox when she was a child? Or is she simply writing what big brother wants to see?? In my best "Corporate" voice... "Yea.. and that Gangster Music Rap is ruining the good kids and communities!" Who buys almost, if not at least half of Rap Music today?? People other than people of color. That's when it became an "epidemic." After track practice one day, when I was in high school, I was walking home and this SUV rolls past me bumpin some 2 Live Crew, so I turn around to see who it was and it was this Caucasian family! I swear it looked like Tom, Mary Beth, two kids and all... I thought I was imagining it!! Now you can almost guarantee to see some them playing some Rap making the block around Beale. I'll be short: Aberration... don't let them get focus off the real issue. Music is entertainment. If you are going to stop musical entertainers from saying certain words, then you should stop motion picture entertainers from making certain pictures. Are there any movies of men beating women? Calling women explicit names? WOMEN BEATING MEN?? If your mind is so debilitated that you let your music determine your actions... get some medication and re balance or don't listen to "Gangsta Rap" watch violent movies and start your Rock collection.


Word of the day: Aberration

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear brother. While I share your vire that the Commercial Appeal (CA) has a right leaning bias . . . why do we question the merits of the sistas argument? Do you not agree that the lyrics of 3-6 and other rap artists, which is different from hip hop, have a detrimental affect on Black youth? Can someone talk to me on this!?!

Anonymous said...

It's entertainment... just like the movies. Why don't they stop violent pictures from being made also?? Stop the glorifying the hood movies?? Because they don't livein the hood, but now that Mary Beth is bumpin T.I. , its a problem... they said the same thing about soul music when it came out!
However, I do see where you are coming from. When Superman first came out it did influence me. I had a towel wrapped around my neck jumping off my Grandads freezer thinking I was about to fly!!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.