Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ahh... The 7th Inning Stretch



Sup fam... This past weekend I was fortunate enough to experience and be a part of the Inagural MLB National Civil Rights Game held in Memphis, TN. It was truly a divergent experience especially since I was never a baseball fan. I guess I am part of the Black community that has gravitated towards Football and Basketball. At the forum, they raised several questions. The main one being why is MLB only 9% Black or African American. I guess Golf & Hockey is next, followed by NASCAR. If a brother can have a system and some dubs....wonder if that would change things?? You could get extra points for having the most tricked out ride! Or Race on Hydraulics!! Back to the subject... I think it's really a cyclical occurrence. When we are young, the people in our neighborhoods don't promote baseball. Then as we get older we see the cool guys playing Basketball and see all the Videos with "ballers" on it. Does Jigga need to do a Video with the Yankees?? Speaking of NYC, I got to give it up to Spike Lee for always promoting sports. I was fortunate enough to meet him and even have a brief conversation with him. I asked him when was he going to turn School Daze into a Broadway play. I think we are going to work on it. Z, you gon be Gammite #1. There were several baseball exec's and a few retired players there also. It was a humbling experience. I got to pay homage to those players like Jackie Robinson who endured so much so today we have an option to play in, manage and own ML baseball teams. Wrapping this up... I got to give a shout out to Lynn Witfield and Uncle Charlie (Charlie Wilson) who were also a part of the festivities. I didn't say anything to Lynn.... She played that part( A Thin Line) a lil too good for me! Charlie Wilson was good... he sang (yes sang) all the old Gap Band stuff and a few of his new tracks. He put on a good show, even though he tired to call me in front of everyone.

No comments: